Frequently Asked Questions

Home Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Here is a list of frequently asked questions relating to forming a company with The Companies UK

What will I receive when my company has been registered?

  • Certificate of Incorporation
  • Memorandum and Articles of Association
  • Register of Directors
  • Register of Shareholders
  • Share Certificates


You may receive further documentation depending on the country you choose.

What information do I need before I can set up a company?

You will need some personal information for each ‘officer’ of your new company:

  • full name
  • nationality
  • occupation
  • date of birth
  • town of birth
  • full address
  • mother’s maiden name


You will also need to decide:

  • the role or combination of roles each ‘officer’ will play in the company (director, secretary, shareholder)
  • the number of shares they will be allocated

Can I choose any name I want for my new company?

The name you choose must not already be registered. You can find this out through our free company name check facility.


The name must not be deemed offensive, or imply any undue association with the government or local authority. There are also certain sensitive words which must be avoided.

How long will it take to set up my new company?

Once you register to use our system, we will provide you with a username and password-protected account instantly. This allows you to access our user-friendly online system where we guide you through a series of simple questions that provide us with everything we need to form a private limited company for you.


Once you submit and pay for your order, we will immediately lodge your application electronically with Companies House.

What happens if my application is rejected?

If Companies House identify any errors or omissions, the documents will be returned and must be adjusted accordingly.


If your application fails, we will contact you as soon as possible with the reason and ask you to access your account and make any necessary changes.


We will resubmit your application to Companies House as many times as required, at no additional charge.

I don't live in the UK. Can I still set up a new company?

Yes. The officers of a company may be resident outside the UK.

I need a UTR number (Tax ID), where can I get this?

Once you have formed a new company the details you provide will be forwarded on to HM Revenue and Customs. HMRC will then generate a UTR or Unique Tax Reference number for your company. You will be notified of this number within 2-4 weeks of the incorporation date. HMRC will write a letter (CT41) to the registered office address of all new companies to ensure their records are accurate on confirmation of which the UTR number can be supplied.

What is the notarisation and Apostille?

A notarisation means that a notary will check all the documents we issue for your company and that he will confirm their authenticity.


An Apostille is an internationally recognised certification and legalisation of the corporate documents by the government of the jurisdiction where your company has been incorporated.


We highly recommend that you choose this option if you consider opening a bank account or if you need your corporate documents for any legal proceedings (such as concluding a contract, for example).

What is a nominee director?

The nominee director service may be used where a client doesn’t wish to be personally appointed or has to meet local requirements. The name of the director will appear in the corporate documents, in any business contract and sometimes in the jurisdiction’s business register.


Upon appointment of a nominee director, a Nominee Service Agreement will be signed between the client and the nominee. It will guarantee the client that the nominee can only act or sign documents upon the client’s request and with the client’s prior approval.

What is a nominee shareholder?

The nominee shareholder is appointed in order to detain shares on behalf of the owner of the company. The name of the shareholder will appear in the corporate documents, and sometimes in the jurisdiction’s business register.


Upon appointment of a nominee shareholder, a Nominee Service Agreement (declaration of trust) will be signed between the client and the nominee.

Request a Call Back

Call us to receive specialized advice on the formation of your company in the United Kingdom or another additional service that you want to incorporate.

Call (+44) 20 4577 0823